Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: minimum of "all other variables"

From   Steve Vaisey <>
Subject   st: minimum of "all other variables"
Date   Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:01:47 -0400

Hello Statalisters,

I have been wrestling with a problem for a while, and I've finally decided to bring it to you for what will probably be an embarassingly quick solution. Here's the problem. Thanks to Nick, I have a program (-myboolean-) that turns fuzzy sets into multiset fuzzy intersections. So, for example, with fuzzy sets A and B, running -myboolean A B- yields four new variables: ab Ab aB AB (where lower = absence [1-set], upper = presence [set], and -- for example -- AB = min(A,B)). Enough background I hope.

What I'd like to do now is to create new variables that contain the maximum value of all OTHER configurations for each configuration produced by -myboolean-. Manually, this is easy to do: otherAB = max(Ab,aB,ab). But with 32 or 64 configuration variables, this is very time consuming. Is there a way to automate this so that:
foreach var of varlist ab - AB {
gen other`var' = max(***all other vars in varlist but `var'***)

One final note: in the crisp set case (where set membership is always 0/1) other`var' would always = 1-`var'. But this is not true in the fuzzy case. Hence the difficulty.

Stephen Vaisey
Caroline H. and Thomas S. Royster, Jr. Fellow
Department of Sociology
200 Hamilton Hall (CB #3210)
Chapel Hill, NC 27599

* For searches and help try: