RE: st: Stata vs SPSS

From   "Earnhart, Benjamin J" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata vs SPSS
Date   Sat, 14 Oct 2006 00:41:14 -0500

In my observation regarding getting jobs and such, I think that
generation and environment matter.

Every new faculty member we've hired in the past eight years or so has
been primarily a Stata user (apart from a couple of qualitative people).
Even older faculty have somewhat come over, if only because once
students get past their intro classes, it's all Stata or specialized
packages, so they need to get with the program to be able to work with
high-quality grad students and take advantage of the opportunities
provided by younger faculty. The person who teaches intro is great, but
won't move away from SPSS, given ten or fifteen years of notes and such.
Too much inertia.  Once the person teaching intro hands it off to
somebody else, then it will be all Stata. These are my observations
regarding Sociology.

I may go over my ICPSR requests re: format, but I *think* Stata is
becoming a more popular format than SPSS in Poli Sci and other fields.

Nobody asks for SAS, because if you use SAS, you don't need your ICPSR
rep to get it into a stats package -- you already know what you're
doing.  SAS is so user un-friendly that it's insane.  With serious
multi-user applications the security features of SAS become relevant,
and that at its guts it's moving to SQL, SAS may have a future in an
enterprise environment.  But for a beginner and/or everyday usage, not
the way to go.  If you're doing hardcore multi-user stuff, it has
something to offer.

Re: jobs, given the paragraph above, Stata won't make it into the
enterprise right away.  Sure, it now has ODBC support, but not to the
extent that SAS does.  SPSS has it, too, but so much of it is those
silly "wizards" that make your job more difficult, not easier.  So for
enterprise stuff, SAS is marketable for the foreseeable future
(especially given that it's so hard to learn).  But for academia, Stata
is the wave of the future (unless you're so hard-core that you become an
R zealot, and that's too much for your average undergrad).

SPSS is for MBAs who don't understand how to properly use Excel -- 'nuff
said.

Below is the text of an off-list response I got, that describes it from
a student's perspective (who is at a different department, and I've
never met.  Dunno if s/he was merely being humble, and I apologize to
him/her if sharing the words below are a breach of confidence.  But it
summarizes a lot.

Ben

 From someone who learned SPSS as a first year masters student and then
switched to Stata in the first year of my doctoral, I explain it this
way to students: Stata is as simple as SPSS and as powerful(and
sometimes more so) than SAS. I didn't even need a formal course to learn

Stata. Every student I know who started with SPSS and switched to Stata,

self learned within a semester and would NEVER switch back - ever....
It's kind of like going from particle board to mahogany, or from
linoleum to marble, or plastic to leather. They just have to trust you
on this!

*Ben Earnhart
*Computer Consultant and
*ICPSR Representative