Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: lowes generate

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   st: lowes generate
Date   Sat, 14 Oct 2006 08:17:45 +0100 (BST)

I came across the following puzzle while looking into bootstrapping
-lowess- curves: If the variable on the x-axis has ties, than I would
expect all observations with the same x value to have the same smoothed
y value. However if I generate smoothed values of y using -lowess- with
the generate option, observations with the same x value sometimes get
different smoothed y s, and this already occurs in the second digit, so
it seems too big for just rounding error. An example of this behavior
is given below.

*---------- begin example -----
sysuse auto, clear
lowess price rep78, gen(sm)