Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: post stratification for stratified 2 stage design

From   "Joe Tabor" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: post stratification for stratified 2 stage design
Date   Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:28:34 -0700

I have cluster sampled data (88 PSUs) divided into 6 geographical strata and
want to post stratify based on 4 age classes from census data.
Is it possible with Stata9? Literature implies it.
If so, the problem: Following the Help directions I assigned postweights of
“the number of elementary sampling units in the population within each
poststratum” (88 PSU x 4 classes = 352 numbers) resulting in a “Population
size = 953” the census population size of one the PSUs. When I assigned
postweights based on strata (6 strata x 4 classes) the resulting “Population
size = 170593, is the size of one of the strata, not the size of the census
population of the study, 703,438.
The svyset commands used: svyset  psu [pw=pw_t], strata(strata) fpc(t_psu)
poststrat(ageC) postweight( pw_cpsu_age) ||  _n, fpc(cpsu_hh)
Any suggestions?