st: Re: Uncollapsing Likert Scales

Subject   st: Re: Uncollapsing Likert Scales
Date   Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:23:54 -0400

Are you sure you can't work with Stata's frequency weights instead? Assuming you have figured out why you want this format, and assuming I understand you correctly, I think a reshape and expand may do what you want.

First, the example data you show is obviously not in Stata format since your column (variable) names are not legal in Stata. Let's assume you can rename the 5 Likert categories as cat1...cat5 and also assume that the question variable is called question. Then:

reshape long cat, i(question) j(likert)
expand cat
drop cat
label define Likert 1 "S. Disagree" 2"...........

should get you something like what you want. Beware that there will be QxN observations overall, where Q is the number of questions and N is the number of respondents.

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald Spady" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:55 PM
Subject: st: Uncollapsing Likert Scales

I have data of the sort below. They are summary reports of Likert scale
type questions.

S.Disgree Disgree Neutral Agree S.Agree
I like school 2 3 5 10 9

I want to create a variable that will take the individual values and give me
something like
Var Label: I like school Value label 1:S.Dis 2:Dis 3:Neut 4:Agree 5:S.Agree
which then gives me, in this case, 29 records for the variable labelled "I
like school"

I have searched the FAQs and the Statalist archives and have read the
section on Expand in the manuals but have not come up with anything to help
me here.

I initially thought of creating 5 variables, one for each Value Label
e.g.
Variable Value
I like school A 2
I like school B 3
I like school C 5
I like school D 10
I like school E 9

But then I do not know how to collapse these 5 variables into 1 variable
with the appropriate associated values

Is there a simple way to do this?