st: RE: Re: Uncollapsing Likert Scales

From   "Donald Spady" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Uncollapsing Likert Scales
Date   Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:10:35 -0600

Michael
   Your suggestion worked fine.  Many thanks.
Don Spady

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Michael Blasnik
Sent: September 20, 2006 12:24 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Re: Uncollapsing Likert Scales

Are you sure you can't work with Stata's frequency weights instead?
Assuming you have figured out why you want this format, and assuming I
understand you correctly, I think a reshape and expand may do what you want.

First, the example data you show is obviously not in Stata format since your

column (variable) names are not legal in Stata.  Let's assume you can rename

the 5 Likert categories as cat1...cat5 and also assume that the question
variable is called question.  Then:

reshape long cat, i(question) j(likert)
expand cat
drop cat
label define Likert 1 "S. Disagree" 2"...........

should get you something like what you want.  Beware that there will be QxN
observations overall, where Q is the number of questions and N is the number

of respondents.

Michael Blasnik