Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Uncollapsing Likert Scales

From   "Donald Spady" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Uncollapsing Likert Scales
Date   Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:55:40 -0600

I have data of the sort below.  They are summary reports of Likert scale
type questions.

                  S.Disgree  Disgree Neutral Agree S.Agree
I like school        2           3    5        10     9

I want to create a variable that will take the individual values and give me
something like
Var Label: I like school  Value label 1:S.Dis 2:Dis 3:Neut 4:Agree 5:S.Agree
which then gives me, in this case, 29 records for the variable labelled "I
like school"

I have searched the FAQs and the Statalist archives and have read the
section on Expand in the manuals but have not come up with anything to help
me here.

I initially thought of creating 5 variables, one for each Value Label
Variable         Value
I like school A    2
I like school B    3
I like school C    5
I like school D   10
I like school E    9

But then I do not know how to collapse these 5 variables into 1 variable
with the appropriate associated values

Is there a simple way to do this?

Many thanks.

Donald W Spady MD, MSc
Departments of Pediatrics and Public Health Sciences
8226B, Aberhart Centre 1
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta,
T6G 2J3