Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: quotes in macros

From   Keith Dear <>
Subject   st: quotes in macros
Date   Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:15:48 +1000

I need to create a global macro containing several filenames, each of which contains a space. This is ok for a short list of short names:

glo list `""file one" "file two" "file three""'

but what I really want is

glo list `""rather long filename one" "rather long filename two" ///
"ridiculously long filename three which takes a whole line" ///
(etc etc) ///

This generates a syntax error, I suppose because quoted strings can't be split over lines.

Note that in a do-file, the following DOES work:

glo list first_filename_with_no_spaces ///
"after the first, quotes strings with spaces are ok" ///
"file three" "file four"

The problem comes only if the first name needs quoting. So a clumsy workaround is:

glo list null "file one" ///

foreach file of any $list {
if "`file'"=="null" continue

But who wants that?

(using Stata 9.2, Win-XP)

Dr Keith B.G. Dear
Senior Fellow in Biostatistics
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health
Australian National University
Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
Tel: 02 612 54865, Fax: 02 612 50740
CRICOS provider #00120C