Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: import SPSS files

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: import SPSS files
Date   Tue, 04 Jul 2006 22:37:23 -0500

At 08:26 PM 7/4/2006, Dick Campbell wrote:
I don't know R, but if you go to
you will find a routine that reads SPSS.

At 08:08 PM 7/4/2006 Tuesday, you wrote:

I cannot verify whether the file is comma-delimited or tab-delimited as I do not have SPSS. If I did I would be able to do this without the assistance of those more knowledgeable than I. I have only Stata and R available to me. Thanks for the assistance and the link.
Hopefully that routine will do the trick. If not I would suggest

* Hunt around for some kindly friend who has Stat/Transfer, SPSS, or DBMSCopy who will do the conversion for you

* Peggy's email address is at - surely somewhere on campus somebody has the above programs

* Splurge and buy Stat/Transfer, a very handy little program. See

Or, better yet, you might qualify for gradplan pricing ($63, at least at my school). See

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu