Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Intro social science stats book

From   M Hollis <>
Subject   st: Intro social science stats book
Date   Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:55:45 -0700 (PDT)

This fall I'll be teaching an intro stats course to
undergraduates in sociology and other social sciences.
 I'm beginning to search around for the elusive
perfect textbook and I'm wondering if folks have
suggestions.  I'm looking for a book that emphasizes
intuition about statistics and their proper use rather
than a mathematically-oriented one that focuses on
deriving the formulas.  In my ideal world, the book
would provide Stata examples, but that seems to be a
rare occurance. Why do so many books provide SPSS

thanks for your suggestions,

Do You Yahoo!?