From   "Maarten Buis" <>
To   "azam alavi" <>
Subject   st: RE: simulation
Date   Tue, 30 May 2006 10:25:51 +0200

--- azam alavi wrote:
> I saw your recommanded program for my simulation.
> I did your program on nlsw88.dta but when doing
> gen p1 = norm((_b[/cut1]-`i')-xb), stata shows
> "invalid syntax" and I can't figure out what's
> wrong.

Stata 8 and Stata 9 use different names for the
cut-off values, and using my code for Stata 8
(or less) would result in such an error message.
So I assume you are not using Stata 9. In that
case replace _b[/cut1], _b[/cut2], and _b[/cut3]
by _b[_cut1], _b[_cut2], and _b[_cut3]. Let me
know if that solves the problem.

In addition note that there are some long lines
in my example code in which mailers might add
hard returns. In particular -di "shift "
round(`i', .1) " to the left results in mean
education of " r(mean)- and -twoway line meaned2
meaned1, xtitle("shift to the left")
ytitle("mean education")- are two long commands
that should appear in your do-file editor on one

I've also cc-ed this answer to the statalist
since this changing of names between Stata
versions might have also confused others on the

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam