Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Re: generating a matrix

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: Re: generating a matrix
Date   Mon, 22 May 2006 08:20:49 -0400

describing are ordinary Stata variables. If you really want to repeat scalars 326 times, then

gen input1 = 33.12
gen input2 = 156
gen input3 = 227.8

And if you want the sum of a variable, there are a couple of ways to do it.

egen tot1 = total(input1)

will place the total of all values of input1 (in this case, 326 * 33.12) in a new variable. That is a very wasteful use of memory. You could also do

summarize input1, meanonly
scalar tot1 = r(sum)

which would place the same total into a scalar.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics