Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: transpose a variable

From   "Ada Ma" <>
Subject   Re: st: transpose a variable
Date   Mon, 15 May 2006 10:31:40 +0100

You can use -reshape- as you say, but before you do it you need to
generate a variable which shows which record the obs correspond to
amongst all the obs you have for each person, something like the count
variable in here:

identifier   dob             request      count
ss12345   10 04 68     MA4          1
                                A2             2
                                ST69979    3
                                verygood    4
ss12346    21 3 52     .                 1
ss12347    14 8 71     MA2           1

You said you don't care about the particular order of the request
variable so you can write:

bys identifier: gen count=_n
reshape wide request, i(identifier) j(count)