From   "Eamonn O'Brien" <Eamonn.O'>
To   <>
Subject   st: transpose a variable
Date   Mon, 15 May 2006 10:05:23 +0100

I have a data set that I would like to 'reshape' to a record per row.
All variables except one, the 'request' variable are on a single row per
identifier. The request variable can be any number of rows and contains
both string and numeric data, with the codes I am interested in
appearing in no particular order in the column.   I would like to
reshape this variable so it's on one row with the identifier. I have
explored -xpose- and -sxpose- and reshape but cannot achieve this.
(Their are more than 3 variables in the data set).

identifier   dob             request
ss12345   10 04 68    MA4
ss12346    21 3 52     .
ss12347    14 8 71     MA2