Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: -mfx- after poisson

From   Scott Cunningham <>
Subject   st: -mfx- after poisson
Date   Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:32:32 -0400

I have a balanced panel of 3 years with approximately 800 individuals in each year (thus 2400 observations more or less). I ran a poisson MLE with clustered and robust standard error correction. There were several variables as regressors, but three worth mentioning (because I think they are causing the problem) are

That is, I am controlling for year, state and state-year fixed effects, and am using xi:poisson.

The ML converges without any problems. But when I use the -mfx- post- estimation command to get the marginal effects, it takes a long time. In fact, it's been going for over a day and still has not produced anything. So my question is - do I need to just be patient? Why would this take so long? I have approximately 200 of these fixed effects, so possibly it has something to do with this, and I just need to be patient? Or, is this sympotmatic of something else? And why might -mfx- break down like that at all? Should I consider -prchange- instead? And if I do use -prchange-, will it easily adapt into -estout- so that I can save the estimates and produce tables?

* For searches and help try: