Statalist The Stata Listserver

RE: st: removing "first letters"

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: removing "first letters"
Date   Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:39:35 +0100

This is good, but not I would say optimal.

Suppose for example your strings really
start with a space in some or all observations.

Suppose you haven't spotted that a few observations
don't follow this pattern.

If so, you will have messed up your data.
Even if not,

replace varname = subinstr(varname, "www.", "", 1)

is a more focused approach to the problem. Yet
another small advantage is that your purpose will
be clearer in do or log files.