Re: st: Cumulative Risk - life table problem?

From   "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Cumulative Risk - life table problem?
Date   Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:19:11 +0200

Dave wrote:

I have run some cumulative risk estimates and produced some life tables,
using -stset- and -sts list-.  I wanted to look at the period between
entry at risk and exit from risk for a cancer cohort where failure
(flagged by a variable: censvar) was developing a cancer.

I -stset- the data and calculated the interval between entry and exit in
years (generated variable: intvlexit).  I then tabulated this variable
and found the maximum interval (entry to exit to be 48 years).  When I
ran -sts list- on this data I set the time range from 0 - 65 as I don't
know in advance what the maximum interval is). I expected that, after
time value = 49, there would be 0 persons entering risk, but in the life
table all Time values from 49 to 65 have 1 record apparently "still at
risk".

Not your fault: -sts list- with the at() option displays the number at
risk prior to the preceding failure event. This somewhat surprising
behavior is known to StataCorp, and it is described in the manual, [ST]
sts list.

To get the number at risk right, you could use -ltable-.

Hope this helps

Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6