Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Creating panel data?

From   Ann Edith Helfman <>
Subject   st: Creating panel data?
Date   Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:31:30 -0400

I'm fairly new to Stata (I have Stata 9) and would like to know whether there is a way to rearrange the following:

WHAT I HAVE: In Data Editor, my first column lists all of the countries under a "country" variable. Each column after that is a "year" variable ("1984" through "2000") with the appropriate value for each country.

WHAT I NEED: The data needs to be sorted by country and year. In other words, I should see first column "country," second column "year," and third column those values.

In other words, I need to create panel data with each country having multiple entries by year. I wouldn't mind doing this in Excel either, if that works better.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this!

Thank you-

* For searches and help try: