Statalist The Stata Listserver

RE: st: combining data sets with different dimensions

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   RE: st: combining data sets with different dimensions
Date   Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:45:50 +0100 (BST)

I agree with Jenifer that it is best to create the dataset step by step checking your dataset in
detail after each step. Appart from looking at the datamatrix (which is a good way to get a feel
of what you are doing) I found -list if _merge==1- and -list if _merge==2- also very useful to
detect problems.

Although this is a step by step process, the end result should be a do-file that creates the new
merged file from the original files. (In my orignal code I overwrite the original dataset. This is
bad practice.) You can add automatic checks in that do-file with the -assert- command.  With this
do-file you can easily find out what you have done, and change it if you made a mistake. This
practise has saved me lots and lots of time.

--- "Marino, Jennifer" <> wrote:
> (If you're trying to run the code Maarten supplied as a
> do-file and Stata is sticking at that point, you could run it with the
> nostop option, but it's quite a bit safer to run it interactively and
> make sure you're where you want to be at each step.)

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting adress:

+31 20 5986715

24 FIFA World Cup tickets to be won with Yahoo! Mail