Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: time-dependent variables in survival analysis

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: time-dependent variables in survival analysis
Date   Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:21:31 +0100 (BST)

You will have to make multiple observation data (e.g. one observation per year) by using -stsplit-
prior to -stset-. -stsplit- will make an observation for each year since the start time until the
end time. It will also create an id variable identifying the different persons, and a time
variable. You can use the time variabel + the age when time started as a time varying age
variable, etc.

Stephen Jenkins has section on creating time varying covariates using Stata on the survival
analysis section on his website

--- Stephan Michelson <> wrote:
> How do I define time-dependent variables that are not events, but take on different values at
the > times of events (ultimately to become independent variables in stcox)?.

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam