Re: st: RE: frequency matching in case-control study

From   "P. Callas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: frequency matching in case-control study
Date   Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:36:21 -0400 (EDT)

If you have frequency matched in a case-control study, you generally do
not need to use a matched-pair analysis (e.g., conditional logistic
regression).  However, you still need to control for the matching
variables in the analysis (e.g., unconditional logistic regression with
matching variables as covariates).  This is because matching results in
the controls being more similar to the cases than they are in the source
population, biasing the OR towards 1 (see for example Rothman KJ and
Greenland S, Modern Epidemiology 2nd ed, Lippincott-Raven Publishers,
1998, pp150-152).

The only situation where there is no need to control for the matching
variable in the analysis for a case-control study is if the matching
variable is not associated with the exposure, in which case there would be
no need for matching since that variable could not be a confounder.

Variables matched on in a cohort study or randomized trial do not need to
be adjusted for in the analysis.

Peter
Peter W. Callas, PhD
Medical Biostatistics