st: RE: frequency matching in case-control study

From   "Marino, Jennifer" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: frequency matching in case-control study
Date   Sun, 2 Apr 2006 13:07:15 -0700

Raoul-
If your frequency matching was successful the distribution of whatever
variable you matched on should be the same in your cases and controls.
(You can look at whether the matching was successful, of course, with a
simple tabulation by case status.) You don't need to use conditional
logistic regression, which uses the matched set as the base unit for
analysis and takes the loss of independence between observations imposed
by 1:n matching into effect - if you do use it, incorrectly, it will
decrease the power to detect associations and provide inappropriately
broad confidence intervals for your coefficient estimates.

If your frequency matching was incomplete you can include the match
variable in your analyses to control for it. Controlling for age by
frequency matching might still be inadequate if the variable
distribution within a subgroup is patterned in a fashion related to your
outcome and exposure, in which case you can control for it to some
extent by including it in your multivariate analysis. (For example, for
some women's health outcomes, even after frequency matching on age we
might still need to take age into account in the analysis because age
has a different effect in women before and after menopause and our
matching didn't correct for that.)

Hope that helps,
Jen Marino
University of Washington