st: basic question about multi-level data

From   Richard Sherman <>
Subject   st: basic question about multi-level data
Date   Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:14:51 +0100

Dear Statalist,

A student of mine is working with a type of data with which I have no experience. The key feature of the data is that the unit of observation/analysis is multi-level, with some observations measured at the level of specific neighborhoods, others at a region larger than a neighborhood, and some at the whole city (in this case Baghdad). That is, the same variables are measured over different units.

Ordinarily when I get close to this type of data, I start moving in the other direction without delay. But I know vaguely of the existence of multi-level techniques, and I thought I'd ask you all for where in Stata I should be looking to start finding out about how and whether to do this type of analysis. Thanks for your help,

Richard Sherman
Department of Political Science, Leiden University
Leiden, Netherlands

* For searches and help try: