st: RE: basic question about multi-level data

From   "Carter Rees" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: basic question about multi-level data
Date   Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:28:50 -0500

xtmixed and the gllamm suite would be a good place to start.  Follow the
link for gllamm.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Richard Sherman
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 3:15 PM
Subject: st: basic question about multi-level data

Dear Statalist,

A student of mine is working with a type of data with which I have no
experience. The key feature of the data is that the unit of
observation/analysis is multi-level, with some observations measured
at the level of specific neighborhoods, others at a region larger
than a neighborhood, and some at the whole city (in this case
Baghdad). That is, the same variables are measured over different units.

Ordinarily when I get close to this type of data, I start moving in
the other direction without delay. But I know vaguely of the
existence of multi-level techniques, and I thought I'd ask you all
for where in Stata I should be looking to start finding out about how
and whether to do this type of analysis.  Thanks for your help,

Richard Sherman
Department of Political Science, Leiden University
Leiden, Netherlands