Re: st: Extracting the varname of e(wexp) after regress ? Anotherquestion more

From   Wolfgang Langer <>
Subject   Re: st: Extracting the varname of e(wexp) after regress ? Anotherquestion more
Date   Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:29:04 +0100

Wolfgang Langer wrote:

n j cox wrote:

This question was answered promptly:

>>> Wolfgang Langer wrote

Sorry, I try it a second time because I haven't got an answer.

I have written a small program to calculate the
goodness-of-fit-chi2-test after estimating a WLS-regression modell for
tabulated data (GSK-approach). How can I extract the varname from the
e(wexp) container to use it in my program? Typing "dis e(wexp)" I get
only the expression "=varname of weighting variable" but not the
varname itself. I need this to formulate my program gofchi2 mor generally.

* For searches and help try:

Thank you very much for prompt  answer.

Dear Statalisters,

Nick's strategy to extract the varname from the e(wexp)-container works very fine, but I need for further calculations the content of the variable - its values in a vector of 8 subpopulations. How can I get back form the string expression extracted out of e(wexp), the name of the variable used for weighting, to its vector?

Thank you in advance

Dr. Wolfgang Langer
Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
Institut für Soziologie
Emil-Abderhalden-Str. 7
06099 Halle (Saale)

Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg
Institute of Sociology
Emil-Abderhalden-Str. 7
D06099 Halle (Saale)

Tel.: ++49/ (0)345 5524248
Fax.: ++49/ (0)345 5527149

Tel.: ++49/ (0)345 2021819

"It's better to have an approximate solution to the right problem
than to have an exact solution to the wrong one." (John Tukey 1988)

or for insiders

"Statistics can't work magic." (Howard Winer 1989)

or for optimists

"Murphy's Laws for Researchers:

(1) If you think of something new, it's been done. (2) If you think something is important, no one else will. (3) If you throw it away, someone else will publish it, obtain a grant, write a book, and get on the Oprah Winfrey show." (Joop Hox 2000)

* For searches and help try: