Re: st: math fonts/symbols

From   "Clive Nicholas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: math fonts/symbols
Date   Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:35:56 -0000 (GMT)

Alan Neustadtl wrote:

> FWIW, I purchased the mathtype equation editor and keep it current and
> have never had any problems with it.  I do produce large documents
> with lots of equations.

I second this comment. I submitted my PhD thesis recently and I inserted
no fewer than seventeen equations into my methodology chapter using the
default Equation Editor. MS Word never 'complained' once. I'm not sure I
expected it to, either.

However, there's one big problem with generating EE equations in Word (for
me, anyway): they look _rubbish_! You can never, for instance, change the
font style to what you want: it's Times New Roman or nothing. They often
appear in the wrong font size in relation to the surrounding text, too.

This is where Kit has the upper hand with LaTeX. Having read the LaTeX
paper he produced for the Stata Users Group last year (as a survey
lecture), it looked mighty impressive: in this context, the equations
didn't look out of place in relation to the text, and, of course, LaTeX
generates automatic numbering for the equations, something MS Word won't
do (to the best of my knowledge).

For this and other reasons, I also agree with Kit: PhD theses and other
academic documents of this type simply don't look anywhere near as
professional when using MS Word compared to how they look using LaTeX. The
downside, of course, is that the learning curve in mastering LaTeX is very
steep! But if I get the chance to revise my thesis, I won't be rewriting
it in MS Word, that's for sure! Now, before Marcello Pagano gets cross...

CLIVE NICHOLAS        |t: 0(044)7903 397793
Politics              |e: [email protected]
Newcastle University  |http://www.ncl.ac.uk/geps

(Learning to use LaTeXEditor along with my MiKTeX pacakge.)