st: RE: RE: regexm()

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: regexm()
Date   Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:34:40 +0100

Regular expressions are not the first thing to try.

gen mentions_drug = strpos(drug, "drugname") > 0

or in Stata < 9

gen mentions_drug = index(drug, "drugname") > 0

is what I would try. This is also relevant:

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  True and false in Stata
        2/03    What is true and false in Stata?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/trueorfalse.html

A Google on regular expressions reveals numerous
sources. Any moderately detailed guide to Unix
will contain a tutorial chapter and will be informative
even if your OS emanates from Redmond, WA.

Documenting its support for regular expressions
a little more fully is, or in my view should be,
on the StataCorp agenda. Previous threads on
regular expressions have underlined that there
is also user interest in writing about them
in Stata.

Terra Curtis