st: Re: manual installation of SSC packages

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: manual installation of SSC packages
Date   Sun, 2 Oct 2005 07:59:59 -0400

As a perusal of your Stata's ssc.ado will show, "ssc install" is merely a wrapper for "net install" from a specific target. If there are anomalies in the housekeeping of installed packages via stata.trk, I would raise that issue with Stata's tech support.

One solution that has been proposed (I believe most recently by Richard Williams): equip one machine that does have a good internet connection with the appropriate routines, and copy the /ado/* directories to the other off-line machines. That does not speak directly to the stata.trk issue, but if the net installs work properly, stata.trk should be properly updated.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html