st: RE: Bootstrapping with ML

From   "Vivian Ho" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Bootstrapping with ML
Date   Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:56:57 -0500

Oy.  He mentioned to me that he and Gautam were having problems with the
Whipple results before I left.  He said the SEs were blowing up.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Robert Town
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 1:53 PM
Subject: st: Bootstrapping with ML

I used the Stata maximum likelihood (ml) routine to maximize a
linear-form (lf) likelihood function that I wrote, using Stata 9.0
SE. The standard errors that Stata is reporting look off, so I am trying
to bootstrap the maximum likelihood routine to obtain more robust
standard errors.

I am not sure how to bootstrap the maximum likelihood routine. I tried
"bs _b : ml maximize" but this gives an error message.

Does anyone have any experience bootstrapping the maximum likelihood
routine for either Stata 8 or Stata 9? (I know that the bootstrap
routine changed from 8 to 9, which is why I mention this.) If so, I
would appreciate knowing how to do this.

Thanks for your help

Robert Town
Associate Professor
University of Minnesota