Re: st: Problems with program

Subject   Re: st: Problems with program
Date   Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:04:53 -0500

At 10:24 AM 8/18/2005 +0100, you wrote:
Richard,
Many thanks for your suggestion. I tried using globals, but again it didn't
seem to work. I'm attaching part of the code I'm using (it'll hopefully be
'readable'). The strange thing is that I'm just having problems with the
outreg line of the program (STATA doesn't recognise the loop `var' in the
name of the out file...).
Thanks again for help and ideas!
Andrea
So if I am following you correctly... `var' is correctly expanding to text, wood, paper, etc. throughout most of the program...but it does not expand correctly when you get to the outreg command??? Or does it expand correctly but you get an error?

I would suggest a couple of debugging steps: at or shortly before the point the program dies, add the commands

macro dir
set trace on

The first will show you the values of your global and local variables, and you can see if they are what you think they are. The second will show what commands are actually being executed and hopefully identify what is stopping the program.

Also, as Rafa suggested, you may just want to switch to -estout-. Even if it doesn't solve your immediate problem it is probably a better program for the long run and, unlike outreg, it is still being supported by its author.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]