Re: st: I'm making bar charts - can I add vertical CI markers ontop of the bars?

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: I'm making bar charts - can I add vertical CI markers ontop of the bars?
Date   Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:57:08 +0100

This is quite a common request. Search the
archives using some phrase like "detonator plots"
(a term I owe to Paul Seed). By the way, "everywhere"
in my experience mostly means some biological sciences.
Statalist archives contain some rather negative
opinions about this graph form.

The key is that -graph bar- is a complete dead end
for your purpose. You can make no progress with it.
You need to switch to -twoway bar- and superimpose
your CIs as desired.

>>> Jesper Fjoelner

Ive created a bar chart with the command below and Ive added values on top of the bars with the "blabel" option.
Is it possible to mark a 95% confidence interval at the top of the bar
instead of the value of the bar?
Perhaps marking the CI with a small vertical line if possible. This is used everywhere, but I'm not sure if Stata will do it.

graph bar varname, ///
over(sex, relabel(1 "Male" 2 "Female")) ///
blabel(bar,format(%9.2f))

I'm using Stata Intercooled 8. Thanks for any help.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/