Re: st: merging data sets

From   "Svend Juul" <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: merging data sets
Date   Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:36:22 +0200

Melissa wrote:
... having a hard time merging data sets from Excel.  2 different scenarios....
* Did you use Excel for entering data? One sheet per patient? There are better solutions; my preference is EpiData which can be downloaded for free from It is easy to use and can export to, among others, Stata.
1.  I have individual patient data on separate Excel spread sheets.  I have already saved them as text delimited and then saved each patient as a separate Stata data set, but cannot seem to merge them.  Is it "append" instead?
* Since you have similar data on different patients on the sheets you need -append-.
2.  Another data set is from parks that we evaluated, with 2 separate evaluation areas. One was visitor interviews, and second was investigator measurements.  The common "variable" (for lack of a better term, since I'm a newbie) is the park name.
* Here you have different data on the same subjects (parks) and you need -merge-:
  . merge parkname using(...)
I am excited about using this program, but I can't even get passed this first problem!!!!
* I recall the feeling.
Hope this helps
Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6