Re: st: merging data sets

From   Manuel Ch�vez <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: merging data sets
Date   Tue, 9 Aug 2005 15:40:03 -0500

You can also use the standard Stat Transfer for transforming excell into
stata files.

Another thing, just remember to

drop _merge

after using merge in any case you have many files, or give a different name
to the _merge variable, just read the help file.

Good Luck

Manuel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: st: merging data sets

> Melissa wrote:
>
> ... having a hard time merging data sets from Excel.  2 different
scenarios....

> * Did you use Excel for entering data? One sheet per patient? There are
better solutions; my preference is EpiData which can be downloaded for free
from http://www.epidata.dk. It is easy to use and can export to, among
others, Stata.

> ---------------------------
>
> 1.  I have individual patient data on separate Excel spread sheets.  I
have already saved them as text delimited and then saved each patient as a
separate Stata data set, but cannot seem to merge them.  Is it "append"
instead?

> * Since you have similar data on different patients on the sheets you
need -append-.

> 2.  Another data set is from parks that we evaluated, with 2 separate
evaluation areas. One was visitor interviews, and second was investigator
measurements.  The common "variable" (for lack of a better term, since I'm a
newbie) is the park name.