Re: st: Question on stir

Subject   Re: st: Question on stir
Date   Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:06:33 +0100

But I have not heard that maximum likelihood asymptotic results
systematically underestimates the standard error, as seems to be the case

"Svend Juul" <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
Sent by:
08/08/2005 14:46
Please respond to

Re: st: Question on stir

Tim wrote,
I wonder if I could ask a more theoretical question: I've calculated the
confidence interval using the Poisson regression method as suggested. The
confidence intervals were consistently smaller than the ones given by
-poisson- calculates an approximate (asymptotic) confidence interval, and
especially if you have few events there can be some discrepancy between
the "exact" interval calculated by -ir- and -stir-, and the result from
-poisson-. The exact interval should, I think, be preferred. But you can
only obtain it in simple situations, not when more independent variables
are involved.

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark