Re: st: Question on stir

From   "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Question on stir
Date   Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:46:04 +0200

Tim wrote,

I wonder if I could ask a more theoretical question: I've calculated the
confidence interval using the Poisson regression method as suggested. The
confidence intervals were consistently smaller than the ones given by
stir.

-poisson- calculates an approximate (asymptotic) confidence interval, and especially if you have few events there can be some discrepancy between the "exact" interval calculated by -ir- and -stir-, and the result from -poisson-. The exact interval should, I think, be preferred. But you can only obtain it in simple situations, not when more independent variables are involved.

Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark