Re: st: Question on stir

From   "Svend Juul" <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: Question on stir
Date   Mon, 8 Aug 2005 17:34:37 +0200

Tim wrote:
But I have not heard that maximum likelihood asymptotic results
systematically underestimates the standard error, as seems to be the case
I am not a statistician, so this is more by intuition:
A chi-square test consistently gives, with few observations, a too low P-value compared to an exact test.
A simple estimation of continuous data gives, with few observations, a too narrow confidence interval; that is why the t-distribution was invented.
Isn't the same principle at play here?
As said: I am not a statistician, and somebody else must take over from here, if needed.
Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark
Phone, work:  +45 8942 6090