Re: st: RE: Docking and floating windows

Subject   Re: st: RE: Docking and floating windows
Date   Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:30:16 -0500

At 09:54 AM 6/27/2005 -0400, you wrote:
Just my two cents to (a) add my endorsement to this video--it really helped me understand all the new stuff with windowing, and therefore get what I like; and (b) renew my observation that I'd really like a "minimize" button on the viewer window, so I can set it to float, but then can get it out of the way without closing it.
You can pin a viewer window if you want - which means it will shrink into a tab when you are not using it. e.g. drag it/dock it on the side and then pin it.

But, I am not sure why this is an issue - at least with my current configuration, viewing windows show up on my bottom tool bar. So, I have a viewing window open, I click on results, viewing window disappears, I click on viewer and it comes back. In other words I can't minimize it, which I suppose would be nice, but it gets covered up by other windows when I am not using it.

After playing around with these windows a bit, I am glad there is a restore factory defaults option. You can also save and load preferences - once you've got things set the way you like, you may want to save them before you start trying different things.

Getting back to Richard Campbell's question that started it all - I bet he docked the command window in the middle and then couldn't find it, just like the UCLA video shows. So, the next time he has that window visible, dock it on the bottom or the sides. Or, maybe reset to factory defaults. Once he has a setup he likes, save the preferences so he can get that setup back if things ever get zapped again.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]