st: Docking and floating windows

From   Dick Campbell <[email protected]>
To   "statalist-hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Docking and floating windows
Date   Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:55:04 -0500

I can't stand the new windows system in Stata 9. With tech support's
help I got it to behave as it did in Stata 8, with the windows where I
expected them to be each time I opened Stata. However, in the midst
of a session today, when Stata's docking/floating capabilities had supposedly
been turned off, the command window suddenly disappeared, and it now
disappears every time I move to another window. The only way to get it
back is to go to the window list and click Command, at which point the command
window reappears until I move to another window at which point it disappears.
Nothing I do in Stata prefs seems to restore the old-fashioned Stata 8 behavior.

Has anyone else seen this problem? It is not the first time it has happened to
me. The first time tech support talked me through a clean up and the second time
I insisted on learning how to permanently turn off the floating window features.
My Stata prefs have everything turned off under Windows prefs; nothing is checked.
But it makes no difference, my command window insists on doing a disappearing act.
I have no idea why Stata is behaving this way and I suspect some sort of bug.

Richard T. Campbell
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
School of Public Health
University of Illinois at Chicago

*
* For searches and help try: