st: Re: Windows XP, Stata, and memory

Subject   st: Re: Windows XP, Stata, and memory
Date   Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:10:59 -0400

I would try starting Stata right after booting the machine and avoid running other programs. If you have many automatically loading programs, try turning some of that off. The problem is that Stata needs a contiguous block of memory, not just 1200m (which windows could provide easily). There may be some memory mangement utilities that can help drop unneded stuff out of memory and/or reorganize memory (?). Just now I allocating mem on my similarly configured machine (XP SP2, 2G) and Stata was able to allocate 1400m. Usually I can get about 1000m - 1300m. If I've been using the machine all day, then the limit is sometimes as little as 850m.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pierre Azoulay" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 7:53 AM
Subject: st: Windows XP, Stata, and memory

Hello,

I am trying to estimate a linear fixed effects model using dummy
variables and not xtreg (don't ask why...I just need to :-)). With
4000 units in the panel, I need lots of memory.

My computer is running Windows XP SP2 with two gigabytes of RAM, along
with Stata 9.
The problem is that I cannot seem to be able to assign more memory to
stata than about 800 MB. For example:

. set mem 1200m
op. sys. refuses to provide memory
r(909);

Is there any way around this problem? I thought windows XP needed
500MB to work comfortably. So in theory, set mem 1200m should not  be
a problem. Any suggestions? (please, don't tell me "use linux").

Regards,

Pierre