st: Windows XP, Stata, and memory

From   Pierre Azoulay <>
Subject   st: Windows XP, Stata, and memory
Date   Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:53:05 -0400

I am trying to estimate a linear fixed effects model using dummy
variables and not xtreg (don't ask why...I just need to :-)). With
4000 units in the panel, I need lots of memory.

My computer is running Windows XP SP2 with two gigabytes of RAM, along
with Stata 9.
The problem is that I cannot seem to be able to assign more memory to
stata than about 800 MB. For example:

. set mem 1200m
op. sys. refuses to provide memory

Is there any way around this problem? I thought windows XP needed
500MB to work comfortably. So in theory, set mem 1200m should not  be
a problem. Any suggestions? (please, don't tell me "use linux").

Pierre Azoulay
Columbia University
Graduate School of Business
3022 Broadway --- Uris Hall 704