Re: st: fixed width of columns in results

From   "Svend Juul" <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: fixed width of columns in results
Date   Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:31:27 +0200

Debby Vissers wrote:
> If I tabulate my variable 'idnumber', the results are displayed like
> this: 1.10e+08. The full idnumbers consists of 9 characters, for
> example 110200804. I would like to see this entire idnumber. Does
> anyone know how I can change the fixed width of the column?

and Neil Shephard gave a good response.
Here comes a warning:
If idnumber is not declared -double-, you get precision problems;
the default -float- size is only accurate to 7 digits. I think the
standard recommendation for long numeric IDs is to store them as
strings. That would also have solved the tabulation problem.
Hope this is useful.
Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark