st: RE: Date + Time of Day

From   "David Harrison" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Date + Time of Day
Date   Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:34:15 +0100

As an alternative to Joseph's ODBC suggestion... If you have StatTransfer, then you can bring the data into Stata with -inputst- and this will bring the date/time field in as a numeric daily date with a fractional part representing the time.

For example 6pm today would be 16602.75

The only problem with this is that Stata has no date/time display format, so with %d display format this would just show "15jun2005".

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric G. Wruck []
Sent: 15 June 2005 14:41
Subject: st: Date + Time of Day

I have an Excel spreadsheet which includes a date column & dates are
in the following form:

11/14/2000  16:27:00

That is, the date includes the time of day.  I've searched my Stata 9
manuals & all I can find on time is part of c(return) where one can
use c(current_time) but this doesn't seem relevant/helpful.

Is there a format that includes time as part of a date, or do I have
to parse this field out & create my own separate time variable?  What
do others do to handle this?

        Eric G. Wruck
        2535 Sherwood Road
        Columbus, OH  43209