st: Re: one-way tables with survey data

From   "R.E. De Hoyos" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: one-way tables with survey data
Date   Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:03:37 +0300

Use the -tab- command with [aweights], this will give you the unbiased (factor expansion-corrected) point estimator.

R.E. De Hoyos
Faculty of Economics
University of Cambridge

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven A. Harvey" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 1:46 AM
Subject: st: one-way tables with survey data

posting it again. I offer my profuse apologies if somehow it gets posted 3 times--this was not my intention.

I am working with a survey dataset and need to produce frequency distributions for a number of dichotomous variables. I have defined the dataset as survey data using the standard commands (Intercooled Stata v. 8.2):

svyset [pweight=pesomef]

The svytab command seems only to work with 2-way tables and the regular tab (tabulate, table, etc.) command produces the same result whether or not I define the data as survey data. I've read through the svytab command documentation several times as well as the documentation for table/tabulate commands and on Stata weights. Surely I'm missing something, but I can't figure out what.

Could someone please help me with the appropriate syntax to produce a weighted one-way table for these variables?

Thanks in advance,

* For searches and help try: