st: BHPS data manipulation

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: BHPS data manipulation
Date   Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:28:29 +0100

> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:42:50 +0100
> From: "U.A.QU.AP" <[email protected]>
> Subject: st: BHPS data manipulation
>
> Hello !
> I use 10 waves of BHPS and i want to create a sample of
> households
> for which marital statut change from cohabiting couple to
> married couple.
> My problem is to define the best strategy to do this task
> given that marital statut variable is
> given in the individual file data.

This is a question that is probably better directed in the first to user
enquiries at the British Household Panel Survey rather than Statalist
(follow the link given by Clive Nicholas yesterday:
http://iserwww.essex.ac.uk/ulsc/bhps/). As Clive also pointed out, there
are 13 waves of data now available

You need to learn about BHPS file structures and panel data.  In
particular note that you should not be aiming to follow /households/
over time; the concept of a fixed "household" is not well-defined
longitudinally, because people join and leave. You must follow
individuals over time (and information about their household at each
interview waves are variables you can attach to each individual).

There are "Introduction to the BHPS" courses available. See
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/ulsc/bhps/courses/ . At this same link is a
downloadable zip file containing materials from the Stata version of the
course that I teach (do and log files, and a powerpoint file). Amongst
other things, the course discusses BHPS file types and how to combine
them.

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk