st: RE: breaking labels into 2 lines

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: breaking labels into 2 lines
Date   Wed, 25 May 2005 20:19:33 +0100

The answer lies in the use of compound double quotes.
Try something like

xla(1 `" "first" "group" "' 2 `" "second" "group" "')

If you think of

`"

i.e. <left single quote><double quote>

as a left delimiter

and

"'

i.e. <double quote><right single quote>

as the corresponding right delimiter, then
you won't go wrong, given the school algebra-like
rule that delimiters must be matched in pairs.

I don't know where this is documented either;
I too would be grateful for a manual or
on-line help pointer, for this reason: if it
isn't documented in at least one of those
sources, it would be a good candidate for
a Stata Journal Tip.

Cheng, Hsu-Chih