st: RE: RE: breaking labels into 2 lines

From   "Cheng, Hsu-Chih" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: breaking labels into 2 lines
Date   Wed, 25 May 2005 20:15:44 -0400

Thanks to Nick, Ben, and Nick.  This really helps.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: on behalf of Nick Cox
	Sent: Wed 5/25/2005 3:19 PM
	Subject: st: RE: breaking labels into 2 lines

	The answer lies in the use of compound double quotes.
	Try something like
	xla(1 `" "first" "group" "' 2 `" "second" "group" "')
	If you think of
	i.e. <left single quote><double quote>
	as a left delimiter
	i.e. <double quote><right single quote>
	as the corresponding right delimiter, then
	you won't go wrong, given the school algebra-like
	rule that delimiters must be matched in pairs.
	I don't know where this is documented either;
	I too would be grateful for a manual or
	on-line help pointer, for this reason: if it
	isn't documented in at least one of those
	sources, it would be a good candidate for
	a Stata Journal Tip.
	Cheng, Hsu-Chih