RE: st: question about heckprob

From   "jyotsna puri" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: question about heckprob
Date   Wed, 18 May 2005 21:25:55 +0000

Michael,
Can you check/send a cross-tab of  dv1 and
dv2, i.e.
table  dv2 dv1
Is dv1 varying within dv2==1? The way you've explained your
variable construction below, it may not be.
Considered using a Tobit?
-Jo

Jyotsna (Jo) Puri
Cell and Voicemail: 201-805-1690
[email protected]

----Original Message Follows----
From: Michael Horowitz <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: question about heckprob
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:34:40 -0400 (EDT)

To whom it may concern:

I am trying to run a censored probit model in STATA but I am not sure what
the structure of the 2 dependent variables for the heckprob command needs
to look like.  The way my dependent variable is currently set up is that
there is a 0,1 variable of whether or not states enter into disputes and
then a 0,1 variable that only has values for those states that are in
disputes and codes whether they escalated them (what I want to know is
whether the same variables that influence whether or not states select
into disputes also predict whether states will escalate disputes).

But every time I try to use heckprob I get the following error message:

Fitting probit model:

outcome does not vary; remember:
                                  0 = negative outcome,
        all other nonmissing values = positive outcome
r(2000);

Could someone please help me and tell me what the structure of a
successful heckprob command is (I looked at the help file already) and
more importantly, how the DVs for it are coded.  The way my code is set up
is:

heckprob dv1 iv1 iv2 iv3 iv4 iv5, sel(dv2 = iv4 iv6 iv7)

Mike

Michael Horowitz
78 Kirkland Street, #1
Cambridge, MA 02138