st: question about heckprob

From   Michael Horowitz <>
Subject   st: question about heckprob
Date   Wed, 18 May 2005 16:34:40 -0400 (EDT)

To whom it may concern:

I am trying to run a censored probit model in STATA but I am not sure what
the structure of the 2 dependent variables for the heckprob command needs
to look like.  The way my dependent variable is currently set up is that
there is a 0,1 variable of whether or not states enter into disputes and
then a 0,1 variable that only has values for those states that are in
disputes and codes whether they escalated them (what I want to know is
whether the same variables that influence whether or not states select
into disputes also predict whether states will escalate disputes).

But every time I try to use heckprob I get the following error message:

Fitting probit model:

outcome does not vary; remember:
                                  0 = negative outcome,
        all other nonmissing values = positive outcome

Could someone please help me and tell me what the structure of a
successful heckprob command is (I looked at the help file already) and
more importantly, how the DVs for it are coded.  The way my code is set up

heckprob dv1 iv1 iv2 iv3 iv4 iv5, sel(dv2 = iv4 iv6 iv7)

Michael Horowitz
78 Kirkland Street, #1
Cambridge, MA 02138