RE: st: -trim()-ed but cannot -destring()-:- hidden text characters?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: -trim()-ed but cannot -destring()-:- hidden text characters?
Date   Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:17:37 +0100

Glad you solved your problem. I seize
the opportunity to plug the multi-author
FAQ on text editors and Stata:

http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/textEditors.html

Now on -charlist- and -destring-, you are indeed incorrect, but
forgiveably so!

-charlist- is a user-written program from SSC,
which I wrote during the lifetime of Stata 7.
-destring- is an official Stata command.

It is true that -charlist- did not find any
exotic characters that are also obviously
visible using the font I tried in the Results window.

. charlist rank
 0123456789�

However, occurrences of char(160) are
indicated by the results left in memory
by -charlist-:

. ret li

macros:
             r(chars) : " 0123456789�"
          r(sepchars) : "  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 � "
             r(ascii) : "32 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 160 "

And -destring- is empowered once that information is
available:

. destring rank, ignore(`=char(160)') replace
rank: characters � removed; replaced as int

I understand char(160) to be what HTML calls
a non-breakable space, so it is indeed difficult
to see when output as the highest ASCII character present,
but realising that we can see that Stata did
its level best to show it. Look carefully at the
results of -ret li-.

How and why char(160) differs from char(32)
I am hoping someone will be able to explain.
Perhaps the two characters exist for the convenience of word
processing software.

This also explains why -list- was no apparent help here.
-list- showed char(160) but not distinguishably.

Daniel Egan