Re: st: Charts/Graphs

From   "maartenbuis" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Charts/Graphs
Date   Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:19:20 -0000

---  "Ronnie Babigumira" <ronnie.babigumira@i...> wrote:
> Every once in a while I need to draw some charts to illustrate a
> point > (simple example, say a demand curve).
<snip>
> (please note, these are not usually based on data otherwise of
> course stata would be my all in all, just illustration graphs).

Stata can also be used (and is used, at least by me) for this type of
graphs, in particular the -twoway function- is usefull. For instance

twoway function y = x || function y=-x+1, clstyle(p2) xtitle("price")
ytitle(quantity) title("Supply and demand") legend( label(1 "supply")
label(2 "demand"))

will give you a graph of supply and demand. R is a bit more flexible
and it allows you to add greek letters and mathematical symbols. I
use stata for simple and quick and dirty diagrams, and I use R if it
gets more complicated.

Maarten